Apply Now


University Applications

Q1:Where can I download the application form?

A:Applications forms are not required. Please log in to for online application.

Q2: Can students from Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan apply as international students?

A:Undergraduate students from Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan are not considered as international students. These students are required to take undergraduate entrance exams conducted by the Ministry of Education. Please contact Undergraduate Admissions Office for more information. Graduate students please contact Graduate Admissions Office directly.

Q3:Can I trust online agencies that claim they have partnerships with BNU?

A:BNU is not affiliated with any agencies. Applicants should apply to the school directly.

Q4:What should I do if I decided not to come to BNU after being granted admission?

A:Please notify us asap if you choose to reject the acceptance, we will cancel your admission status and admission package.

     If you have already received the admission package including admission notice and visa application form, please destroy the documents or mail it back. It is against the law to apply for visa with the application form if you are not attending the school.

     Students who get caught at immigration will receive heavy penalties. Students who fail to notify the school of their status would affect their applications in the future.

Scholarship Applications

Chinese Government Scholarship

Q1: How can I apply for Chinese Government Scholarship?

A: To apply, create an account on and start your online application. For detailed information of application requirements and procedure, please visit

Q2: Is there any requirements for the recommendation letters?

A: Referees should hold Assistant Professor Positions and above

Q3: Does Chinese Government Scholarship support applicants for MTCSOL

A: Chinese Government Scholarship in BNU does not support applicants for MTCSOL

Q4: Is an acceptance letter from the chosen doctoral advisor necessary for PhD applicants?

A: Acceptance letter is not necessary but advisor’s name is required in the application.

Q5: Are international students currently studying in China eligible for Chinese Government Scholarship?

A: Yes. However Chinese Government Scholarship is directed more towards students holding foreign credentials. There are a very limited number of scholarship holders who are already studying in China.

Q6: Are Chinese Language Program students eligible to apply for Chinese Government Scholarship?

A: No. Chinese Government Scholarship at BNU only supports postgraduate programs. However, language students can apply for Confucius Institute Scholarship. For more information, please visit

Q7: Is there a required format for recommendation letters?

A: No. Just the original copy including referee’s signature and organization stamp are required.

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Q1: Who are eligible to apply for Confucius Institute Scholarship?

A:Students who are eligible include MTCSOL, 1 academic year and 1 semester language students. For detailed information, please refer to Confucius Institute Scholarship Admissions Brochure.

Q2: Does the applicants has to be students with foreign nationality?

A: Confucius Institute Scholarship is only open to foreign nationals. It is directed at international students who are studying outside of China. Students of foreign nationalities who are currently in China may also apply.

Q3: Is there an age limit for applicants of Confucius Institute Scholarship?

A: Applicants should be aged between 16 – 35 years old. Chinese Language Teachers have an extended limit till 45 years old.

Q4: Can I still apply for MTCSOL if I’m a graduating student who has yet to receive my degree?

A: Please attach a proof of current study in your application. You must provide the original copy of your degree scroll during registration. The scholarship will be cancelled automatically is students fail so do so.

Q5: Is HSK necessary? What is the required level?

A:HSK and HSKK results are necessary for application. The levels required is different for each type of scholarship offered, please visit htpp:// for detailed information of the test.

Q6: My country does not have a HSK Test Center but my major is Chinese Language. Is HSK compulsory for scholarship applications of postgraduate by coursework programs?

A:Applications for MTCSOL require the same HSK level as any other postgraduate courses. If you are unable to provide HSK test results due to special circumstances, please contact the school you are applying to, you might need to go through interviews and other assessments to assess your Chinese language proficiency.

Q7: There is no Confucius Institute in my country, I do not have a referral from the consulate, and I have not been to China and does not know any professors, is my application still valid?

A: Yes it is. However you should contact the school you are applying to for confirmation. Applicants from countries without Confucius Institutes can apply via tertiary institutions offering Chinese language courses.

Q8: What are the application procedures?

A: Register an account at Select the desired school and program, then fill in and submit the online application. Print and sign Confucius Institute Scholarship Form. Register an account at Fill and submit the online application. Print and sign Beijing Normal University International Students Application Form. Mail both forms and all other required documents to Beijing Normal University International Students Office, before the deadline.

Q9. Whose contact information do I fill if I do not have any Chinese friends and has not been to China?

A: Contact information in China refers to your emergency contact while studying. It could be someone in China or overseas.

Q10. Can I check my application status online?

A: Yes. Applicants can check their results by contacting the referring organization, school they applied to or by logging in to the Confucius Institute website.


Undergraduate programs

Q1:What are the requirements for applicants? 

A:18 – 40 years old, high school graduates, decent grades, non Chinese passport holders. Applicants, who are under 18 as of 1st September 2015, are required to submit 2 original copies of guardianship letter issued by the police.

Q2:Are the courses taught entirely in Chinese?

A:All undergraduate courses are four years, taught in Chinese. Students who attain enough credits and fulfill all graduation requirements will be awarded their degree scroll and graduation certificate.

Q3:Can I still apply if I’m still in high school and have yet to receive my graduation certificate?

A:Yes. Please attach your most recent transcripts and expected final results in your application. If your application is accepted, please provide the original copy of graduation certificate during registration.

Q4:Can I still apply if I have not reached the required HSK level?

A: Applicants are encouraged to have their HSK results ready before application. Those who do not have will be required to provide some other proof of Chinese language proficiency exam during application. If you are accepted, please provide the required HSK results during registration.

Q5:Where can I find out more information about the departments, courses and modules offered?

A:Visit and click on International Students Undergraduate Admission Guide.

Q6:What is the cost of tuition?

A: Currency (RMB)

Student type

1 semester

1 year







Q7:When does the school term start? When should I start applying?

A:Our undergraduate programs commences only during the fall intake. Entrance exams are held from April to May yearly. Students should start preparing their applications at least half a year earlier.

Q8:What is the application process like?

A:1. Determine your eligibility for admission by checking the specific entry requirements for Undergraduate Admissions

     2. Apply online at

     3. Mail the necessary documents as required for admissions

     4. Take the university entrance exam

     5. If accepted, you will receive admission notice, visa application form, new students guide and all other related documents via post.

Q10:Do I still need to take the entrance exam if my documents are approved?

A: Entrance exam is a school wide admission procedure, compulsory for all undergraduates. Department specific interviews or written exams are determined by the faculty, it may not be required for all students.

Q11:Can undergraduates apply for scholarships? What are the scholarships available?


Scholarship Type

Student Type

Award amount

Beijing Normal University

 New Students Scholarship

New degree students

Full tuition, living allowance, insurance

Beijing Normal University


New and current degree students

1st Prize: 1 year tuition fee waiver

2nd Prize: 1 semester tuition fee waiver

Beijing Normal University

Scholarship (Current students)

Current degree students

1st Prize: 6000 RMB

2nd Prize: 4000 RMB

Distinguished Foreign Self-Funded

International Students Scholarship

Current degree students

5 months of living allowance,

 1400 RMB per month

Q12:Is foundation courses offered in Beijing Normal University?

A:Yes it is offered, please visit for more information.

Q13: What are the courses offered for international students?

A:Beijing Normal University currently offers 36 undergraduate courses for international students. Please visit Undergraduate Admissions, for more information.

Q14:Can undergraduates switch faculty or majors?

A:Students can apply for transfer after registration. Outcomes of the transfer depends on the faculty.

Postgraduate Programs

Q1:Is there entrance exams for postgraduate applications?

A:There is no entrance exam. Selection is based on verification of application. Certain faculties may conduct interviews for candidates.

Q2:Can I apply for postgraduate programs if I am currently still a student and has yet to receive my graduate certificate?

A:Yes. Please attach a proof of expected graduation and your most recent transcripts in your application. If you are accepted, you are required to provide the original transcripts and graduation certificate during registration.

Short Term Programs

1. Class content

Q1. What is the class content for Chinese Language Program?

A: Students will take oral exams conducted by Chinese language teachers, where they will be accessed on their abilities to recognize Chinese characters, speaking and previous experiences studying Chinese. They will then be allocated to their respective classes based on the results.

Q2. What are the different levels of Chinese language classes?

A. Classes are separated into three levels (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced). Within these three categories, there’s different levels (Beginner 1,2 class, Intermediate 1,2,3,4 class, Advanced 1,2 class)

2. Placement Test

Q1. What is the process of placement test?

A: Students will take oral exams conducted by Chinese language teachers, where they will be accessed on their abilities to recognize Chinese characters, speaking and previous experiences studying Chinese. They will then be allocated to their respective classes based on the results.

Q2. My school term ends only in August, am I allowed to start the summer program a week late?

A. Yes. BNU will have special arrangements for students whose semester ends late.

Q3. Can I change my allocated class after the placement test?

A: Yes, changes are allowed within 3 days of the results release. Student may change to the one that fits their language level the best.

Q4. How many students are there in each class?

A. There are roughly 15 students in each class.

3. Teaching Staff

Q1. What are the credentials of BNU’s teaching staff?

A: Classes will be taught by a teacher and one current postgraduate student (usually Year 2/3 with adequate training in Chinese teaching) from the College of Chinese Language and Culture. Reading and writing lessons are taught by the teacher, listening and speaking lessons are taught by the postgraduate student.

Teachers from the College of Chinese Language and Culture are equipped with Higher Education Teaching Certificate and Teaching Chinese Teachers Certificate.

4. Activites

Q1. Are there any other activities for short term students apart from Chinese language classes?

Activities for short term students include sight seeing to Great Wall, Forbidden City and Summer Palace. There are also trips to watch Peking Opera, Acrobatics and KungFu performances.

Q2. Will students be able to experience Chinese culture?

A: Yes, students can get a deeper understanding of Chinese culture watching Peking Opera, acrobatics and Kungfu performances. Students can also pay an additional fee of 30RMB/hr to take electives in Taichi, calligraphy and Chinese painting.

5. Application

Q1. When can I apply?

Summer school begins in the end of June and/or start of August yearly. Applications end 1 month before classes start. Please refer to Short Term Program admissions for the exact dates.

Q2. How can I apply?

Apply online at . Fill in all the required information and kindly print the application form after submitting.

Submit the application documents either 1) Personally deliver to ISO or 2) Send it via mail (refer to contacts for details)

Documents include: Application form, passport photocopy, 2 passport photos (with name and application no. written at the back)

6. Fees

Q1. Tuition fees

A: Our summer program ranges from 3 to 9 weeks, as such tuition fees differ according to the duration of each program.

2900RMB/3 Weeks, 3500RMB/4 weeks, 4100RMB/5 Weeks, 7000RMB/8 Weeks, 7600RMB/9 Weeks

Q2. Other than tuition fees, is there any other fees to be paid?

Application Fee: 350RMB

Culture elective courses: Electives are optional to summer school students. Students are free to choose the courses they prefer but classes only start with 10 or more students.

Elective classes cost 30RMB/hr, 2 hrs each week. 3 weeks/180RMB, 4 weeks/180RMB, 5 weeks/300RMB, 8 weeks/480RMB, 9 weeks/540RMB

Activities fee: 600RMB. Fees include sightseeing to Great Wall, Forbidden City and Summer palace, also performances such as Peking Opera, Acrobatics and Kungfu.

Students living on campus will also have to pay accommodation fees. Please refer to accommodations for the exact amount.

7 . Accommodation

Q1. Is on campus housing available for summer school students?

Yes on campus housing is provided. The room is a twin room, it cost 120RMB/night. Students are required to pay the full amount in cash during check in.

Q2. Do I have to reserve my accommodation?

After receiving your admission notice, email to reserve a room, include your name, application number, and program applied in the email.

Q4. Can I stay off campus?

Yes. Students are allowed to choose their own accommodation whether is on or off campus.


Q: What kind of visa do I need to study in China?

A: If your study is going to last for 30 days or more, you must come with an X1 Visa. The X1 Visa will guarantee you to stay in China for 30 days. Thus, you have to change the X1 Visa to Residence Permit in 30 days after entering China, or you will be identified as Unlawful Presence.

Q: What should I do if I need to stay in China while my visa expired?

A:If you need to continue your study in China or need to stay in China for other reasons after your visa (Residence Permit) expiring, you need to go to International Student Office one week before your visa or Residence Permit expires to extend it.

Q:What kind of materials do I need to apply for Residence Permit?

A: If you are going to apply Residence Permit for the first time, you need the following materials: passport (original and copies of personal information page, visa page, entry stamp seal), Beijing Normal University Admission Notice (original), JW202 (201) Form, Physical Examination Record (original), registration form (original) and two passport-size photos.

Q:For how long can I extend my Residence Permit?

A:The duration of your Residence Permit is in accordance with the duration of your tuition fees and insurance expense. That is to say, if you have pay for a year of fees, you can get a year, no longer than two years, of Residence Permit. If there is a tuition arrearage, you cannot get an extension.