- Chinese Government Scholarship
- Confucius Institute Scholarship
- Confucius China Studies Program
- Beijing Government Scholarship
- Beijing Normal University Scholarship
“Beijing Government Scholarship for Foreign Students”
Beijing Normal University Administrative Measures for Implementation
Section 1 General Provisions
Article 1 “Beijing City Government Scholarship for International Students” (Hereafter known as “Beijing Government Scholarship,” or more simply “BGS”) refers to the special funds provided by the Beijing city government both for students coming to Beijing for degree program studies and for those foreign students studying in higher institutions in Beijing, intended to promote the foreign students education development, and promote the training of talented individuals , scientific research, and community service as well as cultural exchange work at higher institutions.
Article 2 In accordance with the “Beijing Government Scholarship for Foreign Students Project Administrative Interim Measures” and “Measures for the Implementation of the Beijing Government Scholarship for Foreign Students,” abiding by the aim of Beijing City Government in establishing the scholarship, in order to standardize the administration and application of the scholarship; reasonably and effectively utilize relevant funds to attract, encourage, and sustain the coming of more high-achieving foreign students to our university to study; encourage academically excellent students to continue to pursue advanced studies at our university; and encourage and reward those students of excellence in both conduct and studies currently at our university, these measures are to be implemented.
Section 2 Target, Deadline and Limitations of the Scholarship
Article 3 The scholarship can only be used for paying the student's tuition. In accordance with the university's specific circumstances, at our university there is a distinction between full scholarship and half scholarship, with the award amount divided into one academic year or one academic semester's tuition.
Article 4 The scholarship is primarily awarded to new students for degree program study at the university, with a portion awarded to current degree program students or exchange program students. According to the actual situation at our university, a separate allotment is set aside to reward and encourage students who make special contributions to the university.
Section 3 Scholarship Application, Review and Issuance
Article 5 Eligibility for Scholarship Application
1) Applicant must be a non-Chinese citizen in good health;
2) Applicant must be a foreign student already admitted for study at our university (new students) or a foreign student currently receiving instruction at our university (students currently studying at BNU), foreign students enrolled in a foreign exchange program or foreign students who have made a special contribution to the university;
3) Foreign students currently enjoying the Chinese Government Scholarship or other forms of financial aid provided by other organizations, are in principle unable to apply for this scholarship.
Article 6 Principles for Scholarship Review
1) The university abides by the principles of openness, fairness, and justice in reviewing scholarships.
Recipients of the scholarship should conform to the following requirements:
1. New Students: University entry test scores should be excellent, registration should be timely, studies should exemplify diligence and hard work.
2. Students Currently at the University: Registration should be timely, studies should exemplify diligence and hard work, grades should be excellent, both studies and personal conduct should be outstanding.
3. Undergraduate Students: Should rank highly according to grades and achieve excellence.
4. Postgraduate Students: Classwork and test scores should be outstanding, no less than 75 points for each course; research and innovative abilities should be strong.
5. PhD students: Must have a dissertation published in an official publication of the relevant subject area, and the date of publication should be within the scholarship application period.
6. Actively participate in events and be a part of social activities both on and off campus.
2) Those who meet any of the following criteria will be ineligible to receive the scholarship:
1. Break any Chinese laws or be the subject of school disciplinary action
2. Fail any required courses
3. Fail to register on time, pay tuition, or handle visa/residence permit procedures
Article 7 Scholarship Review Procedure
1) Student self-application for review
2) Preliminary assessment and recommendation by faculty
3) Review by the Scholarship Review Committee
4) Results publicly posted for a week, hearing of any appeals
5) Official list of scholarship recipients posted
Article 8 Evaluation Index for Scholarship
1.Ｅvaluation Index for Undergraduates
1.1 Academic Record: the original score of each course (scores getting by restudies excluded) in the past one year or one semester（First-year undergraduate Students ）is used to calculate GPA and the formula is as follows:
For new students, it will up to the ranks of entrance examination scores.
1.2 Comprehensive Quality: Actively participate in the events held by school or department; be enthusiastic about social work and volunteer services; involve in all kinds of contests and various awards or honors; the achievements presenting scientific research and academic ability.
2. Evaluation Index for Graduates
2.1 Outstanding professional academic achievements; published academic papers and works; rewarded scientific achievements; inventions, patents and so on.
2.2 Excellent academic record: the original score of each course in the past one year or one semester（First-year graduate Students ）is used to calculate GPA and the formula is as follows:
For new students, it will up to the ranks of scores in the previous period.
2.3 Actively participate in the events held by school or department; be enthusiastic about social work and volunteer services; involve in all kinds of contests and various awards or honors; remarkable achievements in social services making outstanding contribution to the country, society and school.
Article 9 Scholarship Issuance
1) Scholarship recipients will be exempted from tuition or have their relevant tuition and fees reduced according to their scholarship category.
2) Scholarship recipients who, during their course of study, break Chinese laws, run afoul of school regulations, or otherwise engage in actions that do not conform to the stipulations of the scholarship will have their scholarship qualification eligibility revoked and their scholarship issuance terminated. Meeting any of the following criteria will result in revocation of scholarship eligibility:
1. Those who are dismissed or expelled for breaking Chinese laws or school regulations.
2. Those who are found to be unsuited to continued study in China according to school regulations regarding student enrollment.
3. Those who complete their period of study, temporarily suspend study, or withdraw from the university.
4. Those who fail to register on time, complete visa/residence permit procedures, etc.
Section 4 Funding and Management
Article 10 The scholarship will be sourced primarily from allocations made by the Beijing city government; Beijing Normal University will make provisions for complementary funds according to the financial situation and available public funds of the school.
Article 11 Accounting duties for the scholarship will be left to the university finance department to handle on its own, with funds used only for their intended purpose.
Article 12 The scholarship will implement a system of project responsibility, led by the head of the university, with the plan, reporting, and summary work for specific project accountability left to the International Exchange and Cooperation Department's International Student Office.
Article 13 The university's Educational Administration Office, Graduate School, Student Work Department, and other related departments, together with the International Exchange and Cooperation Department's International Student Office, will form the Scholarship Review Committee.
Section 5 Supplementary Articles
Article 14 These measures will take effect on Sep/1,2015, with exposition and interpretation left to the International Exchange and Cooperation Department's International Student Office.
Beijing Normal University
21 July, 2015