- Chinese Government Scholarship
- Confucius Institute Scholarship
- Confucius China Studies Program
- Beijing Government Scholarship
- Beijing Normal University Scholarship
Beijing Normal University 2018 Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Procedure
For the purpose of cultivating qualified Chinese language teachers and facilitating the promotion of Chinese language and culture, the Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) launches “Confucius Institute Scholarship” (CIS) to support outstanding students, scholars and currently employed Chinese language teachers recommended by Confucius Institutes, independently operated Confucius Classrooms as well as some HSK test centers (hereinafter to be collectively referred to as “recommending institutions”) to study in Chinese universities and colleges (hereinafter referred to as “host institutions”).
This year, Beijing Normal University Confucius Institute Scholarship categories are: Scholarship for Students of Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL), Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Students, Scholarship for One-Semester Students.
All applicants shall be
a) Non-Chinese citizens
b) In good Physical and mental condition, well performed both academically and behaviorally
c) Aspired to take future careers on the teaching or international promotion of Chinese language.
d) Between the ages of 16-35 on September 1st, 2018. Applicants currently worked as Chinese language teachers shall not exceed the age limit of 45, while undergraduate students shall not exceed the age limit of 25.
1. Scholarship for Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) Students
Commences September 2018 and provides scholarship for maximum two academic years. Applicants shall be Bachelor degree holders, and have a minimum score of 210 in HSK Test (Level 5) as well as 60 in HSKK test (Intermediate Level). Applicants who are able to provide notarized document of the employment agreement or related proofs upon completing study in China are preferred.
2. Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study Students
Commences September 2018, and provides scholarship for maximum 11 months. International students currently studying in China are not eligible.
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 270 in HSK test (Level 3), while HSKK test score required.
ii. Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, and Chinese Philosophy
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 in HSK test (Level 4) and 60 in HSKK test (intermediate level).
iii. Chinese Language Study
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 in HSK test (Level 3).
3. Scholarship for One-Semester Study Students
Commences either in September 2018 or March 2019, and provides scholarship of maximum 5 months. Applicants withholding visas X1 or X2 are not eligible.
i. TCSOL, Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 210 in HSK test (Level 3), while HSKK test score required
NOTE: Chinese Bridge competition Award winner with 2018 "Confucius Institute Scholarship Certificate" can log on the Confucius Institute Scholarship website and apply for admission according to the scholarship category specified on the certificate.
III. Application deadline and Resumption date
Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) Students
Resumption date: September 1st, 2018.
Application deadline: June 20th, 2018.
One-Academic-Year Study Students
Resumption date: September 1st, 2018.
Application deadline: June 20th, 2018.
One-Semester Study Students
Resumption date: September 2018 or March 2019.
Application deadline: June 20th, 2018. December 20th, 2018 (Resumption date: March 2019)
IV. Admission Procedure
Applicants, recommending institutions and host institutions can log on the Confucius Institute Scholarship website (http://cis.chinese.cn) to find the admission procedures and scholarship recruitment results.
1. Online registration will be available from March 1, 2018. Applicants should please log on the Confucius Institute Scholarship website (http://cis.chinese.cn), create a personal account, fill out the “Application Form for Confucius Institute Scholarship”, submit the application form online and upload the scanned copy of all relevant supporting documents.
2. Applicants must long on BNU International Student Office website (http://apply.bnu.edu.cn/), create a personal account, complete and submit the “Beijing Normal University International Students Application Form” online, and print the application form. Applicant and guarantor should sign on the application form.
3. Online application should be completed before the deadline. All application documents should be mailed to BNU International Students Office.
4. After the review and validation of application materials by host institutions, then admission list of eligible applicants will be submitted to Hanban.
5. Hanban will complete the scholarship review and notify the results two months before enrollment of the admitted students.
6. After confirming with the successful applicants, host institutions are required to post the “Admission Notice”, “Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China” (JW202 Form), copy of the scholarship certificate and other relevant documents, by mail, to the students within 15 working days.
V. Application Documents
1) Application materials for all applicants
1. A scanned copy of the passport photo page. Applicants under 18 years old shall submit relevant documents of entrusted legal guardians in China.
2. Scanned copy of HSK and HSKK Tests reports (valid for 2 years).
3. Recommendation letter signed by the head of the recommending institutions (please provide objective comments on the applicant, including whether the applicant is a student of Confucius Institute or other identity. Chinese language teachers shall submit an employment proof and a reference letter provided by the institutes they work for.)
2) Application materials for Degree scholarship program applicants
4. Authenticated certification of the highest level of education (or proof of expected graduation), and an official transcript.
5. MTCSOL applicants are required to provide 2 reference letters from professors or associate professors. Priority will be given to applicants who can provide an authenticated employment agreement or related documents with the designated teaching institution.
3) Other documents required by host institutions
6. Application Form for Confucius Institute Scholarships.
7. Beijing Normal University International Students Application Form.
8. Applicants’ personal statement form (only for MTCSOL applicants), please download the form, fill it by hand and sign.
9. Physical Examination Record for foreigners. The form is uniformly printed by the Chinese health and quarantine department. This form is only required for applicants who will study in China for more than 6 months.
10. Application fee: CNY 600 for master’s degree program; CNY 450 for language students (Please pay online through your personal account on BNU application website).
NOTE: Corresponding notarized documents (in Chinese or English) of the above application materials in other languages should be provided.
VI. Scholarship Coverage, Criteria and Academic Assessment
1. Scholarship Coverage:
The Confucius Institute Scholarship provides full coverage on tuition fee, accommodation fee, living allowance (four-week study students are excluded) and comprehensive medical insurance expenses.
Living allowance: CNY 2,500 monthly for One-Academic-Year Study and One-Semester Study students; CNY 3,000 monthly for MTCSOL students. Living allowance will be granted by host institutions on a monthly basis.
Accommodation fee: Host institutions provide scholarship holders with free dormitory rooms (usually double rooms). Those who live off campus with the permission of host institutions can get accommodation allowance from host institutions monthly or quarterly. The standard allowance is CNY 700 per person/month.
Comprehensive medical insurance: Is purchased by the host institutions in accordance with the relevant regulations relating to International students stipulated by the Chinese Ministry of Education. For One-Semester Study students, the insurance fee per person is CNY 400 per year. For students studying for One-Academic-Year and above, the insurance fee per person is CNY 800 per year.
3. Academic Assessment
All the scholarship program applicants who will study for more than One academic year are subject to annual academic performance review. Only those who achieve outstanding records in their academics and Chinese language proficiency will be entitled to a full scholarship the following year; those who achieve average academic records will be entitled to partial scholarships; while the rest will not be entitled to scholarship any longer.
Partial scholarships covers tuition fee, accommodation fee and comprehensive medical insurance fee.
One-Academic-Year Study and One-Semester Study students are required to attend Chinese language proficiency test before graduation. Test fee will be reimbursed by host institutions.
1. Incomplete application materials or unqualified applications will not be processed.
2. Applicants will be disqualified from application in case of fraudulent application materials or if application materials are completed and submitted by someone else.
3. Scholarship winners who cannot register with the host institutions on time should inform the host institution within 15 days before the resumption date, stating the reasons in written form. Scholarship will be canceled for those who do not register without reason.
4. Scholarship will be canceled for those who do not pass the admission physical examination, quit school, or suspend schooling during their study.
1. Mailing address for application materials
The Office of International Scholars and students' Affairs, Beijing Normal University.
Jingshi Plaza 9910, 19 Xinjiekouwai Street, Haidian District, Beijing, China (Postcode: 100875)
2. Beijing Normal University
3. Division of Scholarships, Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban)
Address: 129, Deshengmenwai Street, Xicheng District, Beijing,China (Postcode: 100088)
Confucius Institute Scholarship website: http://cis.chinese.cn
Chinese language test website: http://www.hanban.edu.cn/tests/